1 cup – green gram
1 handful – urad dal
Salt and green chilli
1 tsp – soda bicarbonate (Add it when you are making the idli)
- Soak the green gram and urad dhal together.
- Grind to a coarse paste with salt and green chillies.
- Pour the batter in the idli moulds, steam it for 8 minutes.
- Serve hot with ginger or garlic chutney. ( see below)
Note: 1. If you are using the batter immediately, add soda bicarbonate.
2. You can also ferment it; if fermenting do not add soda as it becomes fluffy naturally.
3. As this idli is bland serve it with really spicy ginger chutney.
1 inch piece – ginger
2 tbsp – coconut, scraped
Green chillies – 2-3
1 tbs pureed apple
1 tbsp – tamarind
1 tsp – ground mustard seeds
Salt and oil
- Heat a tsp of coconut oil in a wok and fry the ginger and chillies slightly.
- Then add the coconut and switch off the flame.
- Grind everything coarsely with other ingredients and add salt.
- Season with mustard.
- Adjust tanginess, sweetness and spice according to taste.