Made in less than 10 minutes ( once you have the core ingredients, for example, I make chicken stock whenever I have chicken bones, let it coolkim any residual fat and then freeze it in ice cube trays, deant and store in containers in freezer until I need them. They add flavour to all sorts of things; lasagna, stews, – virtually anything!!! EXCEPT smoothies!)
1 litre chicken stock
2 stalks, lemongrass
4 sliced garlic cloves
500gm organic skinless chicken breast, sliced
2″ slice of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
half a litre fresh coconut milk/cream
2 fresh kaffir lime leaves or fresh lemon leaves
half teaspoon dried red chili
2 spring onions, sliced diagonally
2 tbsp fish sauce
sea or himalayan rock salt
freahly ground pepper
fresh coriander leaves – torn, to taste
2 limes, halved
- Bringthe stock to the boil in a medium pan.
- Quarter the lemongrass lengthwise and crush slightly to release flavours.
- Add to stock with ginger, garlic, chciken, coconut milk/cream and lime/lemon leaves [NOTE : you can leave the leaves and lemongrass in the soup BUT don’t eat these] and chilli
- Stir until soup returns to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the white parts of the spring onions and fish sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cook 1 minutes.
- Add coriander and spring onion tops.
Serve while the greens are still vivid and the flavours intense. If it sits too long the flavours fade. Squeeze half a lime into each serving before eating.