JUICE AND FINELY GRATED ZEST OF 2 LIMES HALF CUP APPLE JUICE, FRESHLY MADE 5 GM PIECES OF STAR ANISE PLUS 2-3 WHOLE STAR ANISE 30 GMS FRESH ROOT GINGER, GRATED QUARTER TSP GROUND ALLSPICE 3 LARGE ORANGES 2 RED RUBY GRAPEFRUIT 6 CLEMENTINES ( OR MANDARINS) 4 FIGS 2 POMEGRANATES METHOD
- To make the syrup: put lime juice, apple juice, star anise pieces, ginger, allspice plus 1 cup of water into a saucepan and heat gently. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer until reduced to half. Put aside to cool.
- Cut away the skins from the oranges and grapefruit. Halve and cut into thin wedges discarding the central white cores.
- Peel and slice the clementines/mandarins.
- Cut figs into wedges.
- Halve pomegranates. Separate the seeds, discarding the skin and the white pith.
- Mix all the fruit in a large serving bowl.
- Strain the syrup over the fruit, discarding the bits.
- Place the whole star anise on top and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight so the flavour can develop.
- Serve sprinkled with lime zest.