Ingredients – Serves 4
4 tbsp cold pressed organic olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
zest and juice of 2 lemons ( have also used lime)
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp oregano
4 small sea bass ( or other similar white fish like barramundi ) scaled and gutted
sea salt or himalayan rock salt
freshly ground black pepper'
2 fennel bulbs, shredded
16 cherry tomatoes, halved. ( For myself I leave these out as I am sensitve to nightshade plants)
150gm rocket leaves, washed
4 tbsp pine nuts OR cashews or almonds
4 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
1. Make the marinade. Place olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, fennel seeds and oregano in a blender and bi\litz or into a mortar and pestle and pound until smooth.
2. Make 4 slashes along the flesh of each fish and rub with half the marinade. Keep other half as dressing. Marinade 2 hours.
3. Season left over marinade - add more lemon juice if required. Set aside.
4. Heat BBQ. Remove fish from marinade, ( reserve this for later). Place fish straight on BBQ. Cook 5-7 minutes.
5. Carefully turn fish. Brush with reserved marinade. Cook 5 minutes more. Brush again just before end of cooking and remove fish.
6. Place fennel, cherry tomatoes and rocket in a large salad serving bowl. ( I have replaced the cherry tomatoes successfully with sliced button mushrooms).
7. Either pour over the reserved dressing or serve the dressing in small containers on the side.
8. I serve the fish on a platter, squeezed with the juice of an extra lemon, sprinkled with nut meat pieces and torn basil.
9. Serve with the salad.