- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup reduced apple juice ( 2 cups of freshly squeezed apple juice reduced on simmer to half a cup)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split, plus scraped seeds
- optional: a teaspoon of ground ginger ( makes a superb strawberry sauce for roasted meats – just leave chunky and don’t blend!!
- optional: ad tarragon for flavour
Toss the strawberries in a bowl with the apple juice, cider vinegar, vanilla pod and scraped seeds. Let stand 10 minutes. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet or small roasting pan.
Roast in a 250 degree oven for about 2 hours, until the berries are very soft and shriveled. Mix around once or twice as they cook.
Let the syrupy berries cool. Remove the vanilla pod. Pulse in a food processor or mash by hand with a potato masher to a chunky consistency.
Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups