Homemade Coconut Milk
- Vitamix or good blender
- Nut milk strainer bag, paint strainer bag or fine cheesecloth
- 2 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 4 cups hot (not boiling), pure water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Place shredded coconut in a bowl of hot (not boiling), pure water. Let soak for 1-2 hours. Do NOT discard the water.
- In the Vitamix or blender, combine coconut, soaking water, and vanilla. Blend on the highest speed for about a minute.
- Strain liquid through a nut milk bag, paint strainer bag or very, very fine cheesecloth, pressing out all the liquid you can.
- Discard solids or save them for adding to baked treats.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge. Good for 3-4 days. Since there are no preservatives or fillers, the fat in the coconut milk may separate on the top if stored in the fridge. Just shake or stir before using.